As the world moves into its final years, the Scriptures speak of a powerful nation that will exist at the time of the end.
The Bible calls this nation Babylon. For most people, Babylon's existence today is not even a faint glow on their radar screen.
For most theologians, Babylon's identity remains a mystery. Babylon is mentioned in the book of Revelation, chapter 18. This
chapter describes the wealth, greatness, and the destruction of this mysterious place. This Babylon will be prominent in the
last days. That is why it is spoken of in the book of Revelation. The question that begs to be answered is: who is Babylon?
For years, many have tried to answer that question. Revelation 18 reveals a great deal about Babylon. Yet, there is little
information to point to her geographic location. Without a few more solid leads, we can only guess who Babylon might be.
New York City?
Over the years, I have listened to speakers and clergy alike suggest that Babylon is everything from New York City to the
ancient city of Babylon in Iraq. On close examination, none of the theories appeared to have much merit. However, in the Old
Testament I discovered a number of prophecies describing future Babylon. These prophecies are critical to understanding the
events occurring in Revelation 18. The prophecies are found in Jeremiah 50 & 51 and Isaiah 13 & 18. Together, these
chapters reveal the location and tell the story of future Babylon. When combining the chapters of Revelation 18 with Jeremiah
50 & 51 and Isaiah 13 & 18, the prophecies become understandable.
Some theologians believe that the ancient city of Babylon, located in Iraq, will have to be rebuilt in order to fulfill
the Revelation 18 prophecy. One could consider that a possibility, especially when Saddam Hussein spent millions of dollars
giving old Babylon a facelift. Yet, considering the biblical description of the end-time Babylon, one realizes that Hussein's
tourist attraction simply cannot fulfill the ancient prophecies. According to Revelation 18, the end-time Babylon is going
to be destroyed. Revelation 18:9 states that the kings of the earth will weep and mourn over her. Revelation 18:11 says that
the merchants of the earth will weep and mourn over her, because no one will buy their cargoes anymore. Revelation 18:17,18,19,
tells us that all of the sea captains and sailors who earn their living from the sea will throw dust on their heads, and with
weeping and mourning cry out. If the ancient city of Babylon disappeared from Iraq tomorrow, do you really think all the merchants
of the earth would be crying over her? Would the merchants of the earth be saying that there is no one left to buy their goods
anymore? It is doubtful that many sea captains would be throwing dust on their heads and crying out in anguish. The Babylon
in Revelation 18 is just so much bigger than that ancient desert city. In order to identify Babylon and solve the mystery,
I have listed fourteen clues with a follow-up explanation that will point the finger to Babylon. These clues are found in
Jeremiah, Revelation, and Isaiah.
1. Babylon dwells on many waters, and has abundant treasures. (Jeremiah 51:13)
2. Babylon has her own sea. (Jeremiah 51:36)
3. Babylon's cities will be destroyed. (Jeremiah 51:43)
4. Babylon has a destroying mountain. (Jeremiah 51:25)
5. Babylon is a land filled with people from other lands and is a land of mingled people. (Jeremiah 50:16) (Jeremiah 50:37
6. When Babylon is destroyed, her great voice will be silenced. (Jeremiah 51:55)
7. Babylon has the ability to mount up to Heaven. (Jeremiah 51:53)
8. Babylon will have an enemy to her north that destroys her cities, destroys her mountain of war, and all of this happens
in one hour's time. (Jeremiah 50:3) (Jeremiah 51:30&43) (Jeremiah 51:25,26) (Revelation 18:9,10)
9. God addresses the Jews living in Babylon. (Jeremiah 51:45 to 50) (Revelation 18:4)
10. The merchants of the earth are waxed rich through the abundance of her delicacies. (Revelation 18:3)
11. Woe to the land shadowing with wings, which is beyond the rivers of Ethiopia. (Isaiah 18:1)
12. Babylon glorifies herself. (Revelation 18:7)
13. The nations stream to Babylon. (Jeremiah 51:44)
14. Babylon is described as a country. (Isaiah 13:5)
After reviewing all fourteen clues, there is only one nation in existence today that meets the strict criteria for Babylon--AMERICA.
1. (Jeremiah 51:13) Babylon dwells on many waters. This could not be a reference to ancient Babylon because the city was
built in the desert. America has the Atlantic Ocean to the east, the Pacific Ocean to the west, the Great Lakes to the north,
the Gulf of Mexico to the south, the Missouri and the Mississippi Rivers run through the center of the nation, and Alaska
borders the Beauport Sea. Yes, America dwells on many waters.
2. (Jeremiah 51:36) Babylon has her own sea. Again, this could not be a reference to ancient Babylon, because the city
was built in the desert. America has her own sea. Within the continental United States there is a sea we call Lake Michigan.
Lake Michigan is 110 miles wide, and 300 miles long. If you ask anyone serving in the coast guard, they will tell you that
Lake Michigan is truly an inland sea. Many ocean vessels lay at the bottom of Lake Michigan, and many surviving crew members
now know how deceptive the name Lake Michigan is.
3. (Jeremiah 51:43) Some say that Babylon is just a city. If that is true, why does the Bible say that the cities of
Babylon will be destroyed? Can a city have cities? Or does a nation have cities? America has many cities. In the Old Testament,
God spoke of Israel as a city. Yet, Israel was a nation.
4. (Jeremiah 51:25) Babylon has a destroying mountain. America has a destroying mountain. Just outside of Colorado Springs
is a place called the Cheyenne Mountain Complex. Deep below a granite mountain is America's command, control, communication,
and intelligence center. This place is where America coordinates and controls the North American Aerospace Defense Command.
This complex was built for use in case of nuclear war.
5. (Jeremiah 50:16 & 37) Babylon is a place filled with people from other lands, and is a land of mingled people.
America's population is made up of mingled people and people from other lands. America has always been described as the great
melting pot because of its ethnic diversity.
6. (Jeremiah 51:55) When Babylon speaks, it is with a great voice. America is the nation that speaks with a great voice
in the world today. America champions freedom and democracy for all the nations of the world, and it will be America's great
voice that will be silenced.
7. (Jeremiah 51:53) Babylon has the ability to mount up to Heaven. America has the ability to mount up to Heaven. America
is one of the few countries that has put a man in space, and with the development of the space shuttle we do this as often
as we need to.
8. (Jeremiah 50:3) (Jeremiah 51:30) (Jeremiah 51:25) (Revelation 18:19) Babylon will have an enemy to her north that
destroys her cities, destroys her mountain of war, and all of this happens in one hour's time. America's potential enemy to
her north is Russia. The same Russia predicted to attack Israel will attack America. Russia could attack America anytime it
decided to. They have the ability to destroy all of America's cities, our mountain of war, and they could accomplish this
in one hour's time.
9. (Jeremiah 51: 45-50) (Revelation 18:4) Since God addresses the Jews living in Babylon, there must be a substantial
number of Jews living there. Outside of Israel, the greatest number of Jews in the world today live in America; 5.2 million
at the time of this writing.
10. (Revelation 18:3) Babylon made the merchants of the earth wealthy because of the abundances of her delicacies. America
conducts more trade with the world than any nation on earth. America became wealthy from trade and made other nations wealthy.
11. (Isaiah 18:1) "Woe to the land shadowing with wings, which is beyond the rivers of Ethiopia." America is shadowed
by eagle wings. It's our national emblem. We are also the nation beyond the rivers of Ethiopia. Israel is the focal point
of Scripture. If you were standing in Israel looking to Ethiopia and followed that compass heading, it would take you across
the southern polar ice cap, and across three oceans. The first continent you would arrive at is North America. That is, of
course, where the United States resides. When Scripture says, "Woe to the land," it is an indication of impending judgement.
12. (Revelation 18:7) Babylon glorifies herself. In all of history, I cannot think of one nation that has glorified herself
more than the United States. Americans are proud of their wealth, of their accomplishments, of their military power. Yes,
America glorifies itself with flags, bumper stickers, parades, music, movies, and yearly celebrations.
14. ( Isaiah 13:5) Babylon is described as a country and not a city.
Without any doubt, I understand American's role in this end-time scenario. America is the Babylon of Revelation 18. Americans
do not realize it yet, but we are symbolically standing on the deck of the Titanic, and in the years that lay ahead of us,
our powerful nation will be approaching icebergs ahead. Unfortunately, most Americans believe we are unsinkable.